Search This Blog

Thursday, 9 August 2012

How to break away from sin

Great speakers and preachers have either written or preached about this topic, but I can't help it not to share on it aswel. Allow me to take this parable Jesus used in the book of Luke15:11-24. I know that it has a different meaning, but I also find a message different from it's true meaning that Jesus was saying.

Luke15:11-24(amp)

11  And He said, There was a certain man who had two sons; 12  And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the part of the property that falls [to me]. And he divided the estate between them. 13  And not many days after that, the younger son gathered up all that he had and journeyed into a distant country, and there he wasted his fortune in reckless and loose [from restraint] living. 14  And when he had spent all he had, a mighty famine came upon that country, and he began to fall behind and be in want. 15  So he went and forced (glued) himself upon one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed hogs. 16  And he would gladly have fed on and filled his belly with the carob pods that the hogs were eating, but [they could not satisfy his hunger and] nobody gave him anything [better]. 17  Then when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father have enough food, and [even food] to spare, but I am perishing (dying) here of hunger! 18  I will get up and go to my father, and I will say to him, Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight. 19  I am no longer worthy to be called your son; [just] make me like one of your hired servants. 20  So he got up and came to his [own] father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was moved with pity and tenderness [for him]; and he ran and embraced him and kissed him [fervently]. 21  And the son said to him, Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight; I am no longer worthy to be called your son [I no longer deserve to be recognized as a son of yours]! 22  But the father said to his bond servants, Bring quickly the best robe (the festive robe of honor) and put it on him; and give him a ring for his hand and sandals for his feet. 23  And bring out that [wheat-]fattened calf and kill it; and let us revel and feast and be happy and make merry, 24  Because this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found! And they began to revel and feast and make merry. I believe that we are not perfect and we all sin, it may be a small or a huge sin. But before God it's a sin. The fact that someone is a Christian doesn't make them perfect, but it only means they have been redeemed and they received grace. It also don't mean they don't sin.

It's either we do it unknowing or someone led us to do it, or we just decided to sin. Yes it is possible that you can sin not knowing that what you are doing is not right and God doesn't like it. You are just trying to do a right thing but in a process you end up doing the wrong thing.

People can lead you to sin aswel, especially family members. But I want to focus on this one aspect of sin which is the one where you decide to go against Gods word. Most times we make a decision to rebel against God. Like the younger son on this parable, he decided to ask for his inheritance from his father while he is still alive. He basically was saying I don't wanna be living under your authority anymore. He was rebellious against his father.

We do become rebellious against God by committing in to sin while we know very well that what we are doing or about to do is against God's will. Sometimes people wanna go and taste sin, just to try and experience life on the other side. And you find them stuck in sin for a long time. Sometimes you would find a great preacher of the word of God being deep in sin, why, because he had made a wrong decision and committed sin. Some are still in church preaching, some are still in church every sunday they take their bibles and put on their uniform as if they are pure before God yet they are being slaves of sin, sin they made choice to commit. But Jesus says in Luke 19:10  "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save that which was lost." Jesus seek for you, everyday every sermon that is being preached to you on sundays. Jesus is calling on you.

But here is a trick, God will not force Himself on you. (Genesis 3:8-10) when Adam and Eve have sinned God came and called them out, not because He did not know what they did and where they were hiding, but He needed them to make a decision to come out and confess their sin to Him."Here I am Lord". You have to make a decision, you have to take first step (Luke 15:18  I will get up and go to my father, and I will say to him, Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight.) You have to first come to your senses and realize that you have sinned, then take the decision. Confess your sin and go to the father. Luke15:20 don't just end up by saying I will go, but stand up and go to the father.

You must be willing to serve God with everything, your entire being. (Luke15:19  I am no longer worthy to be called your son; [just] make me like one of your hired servants.) You must not demand forgiveness but offer yourself to Him, to be His servant. Come acknowledging your unworthiness, but the love of God will restore you as His son.

We serve a Loving God, He rejoices for one sinner that repent from sin"Luke15:23-24". He will accept and welcome you home with great joy. Jesus said Come to me all ye who are weary and tired and I'll give you rest. You go to Him not to the church not to your friend, listen, as the prodigal son went back to his father he eventually went back to his community. So is you, as you come to God you will eventually go back to church, but your focus should be unto God.

How to break away from sin? By following these few steps I have just pointed out, and repent. I hope that this will be useful to some who have been troubled by sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment